Queen Anna of Arendelle faces a particularly dark moment when she apparently loses her sister and her best friend at the same time.
But somehow, she needs to find the strength to do the next right thing, climb out of the dark cave, and stand up for the truth about her people’s history.
Kristen Bell who voices Anna in the movie Frozen 2 relates to that feeling of what do you do when you don’t know what to do? Her personal mantra is just to do the next right thing.
Drawing on her personal experiences of anxiety and depression, Kristen talks about what the next right thing can look like.
“What do I do when I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning?
You just do the next right thing and that’s stepping out of bed.
The next right thing is brushing your teeth.
The next right thing is eating your breakfast.
The next right thing is looking at your calendar and going to work.”KRISTEN BELL
SOURCE: USA Today
Kristen talks about the importance of finding inner strength instead of relying on outside motivation to help kids cope. She really wanted Anna to be representative of that.
SEOT is an acronym to help us get the most out of life. The E stands for effort.
(It’s explained more in the goal setting slideshow)
SEOT Step to Success #14 is to DO THE NEXT RIGHT THING
At some point, we all face obstacles. Sometimes in life, hope feels lost. Sometimes when we’re working on a goal, things seems impossible.
We can learn a lot from Queen Anna in terms of goal setting and getting through tough times:
- She makes a conscious choice to listen to the tiny voice that whispers in her mind to do the next right thing.
- She takes a step.
- She steps again.
- When things are too much to take, she breaks it down to taking the next breath, taking the next step.
- She makes the choice to listen to the tiny voice in her head and do the next right thing.
Think about your goal. Sometimes goals can feel overwhelming – especially when our big dreams seem too big and we worry they’re impossible.
So, like Queen Anna, we just need to take it step-by-step, day by day, and action by action.
What is the next action you could do right now if you wanted to head in the direction of your goal? What is the next right thing you might do?
- Could you set aside 10 minutes to work out?
- Could you choose to eat a healthy snack right now instead of junk food?
- Could you wake up 10 minutes earlier to look at some finances?
- Could you spend 10 minutes after school reviewing your notes and guessing what might come up on the next quiz or test?
Don’t think about what comes after the next right thing because that can be overwhelming. Just stay in the moment and choose to do the next right thing.
Bonus video clip:
Kristen Bell – The Next Right Thing (Frozen 2 Lyric Video)